Question: Can I use an iPad in New Zealand?

By | April 20, 2010

A somewhat inevitable question has arrived via the question machine:
[quote]Can i buy an ipad in usa and expect it to work in new zealand? any tech specs i have to look out for?[/quote]

Yes, you can buy an iPad in the USA, and yes it will work fine in New Zealand. In fact, I’m writing this very post on an iPad.

Things you will want to look out for:

• You can purchase and use almost any iPad app through a standard New Zealand iTunes account. However: the official Apple apps, including iBooks and the iWork suite are currently only available in the US store. There is a fairly straightforward way to get around this limitation.
  • No one has tested the 3G models yet. They use micro SIM cards which are not currently available in New Zealand. Vodafone promises they will be available if and when the iPad 3G is officially available in New Zealand. If you get desperate, you could make your own.

So yes, there are really no problems with using an iPad in New Zealand. The question is: do you really need one? I’ve been using mine for a week now, and am really struggling to find a true purpose for it. If I get a spare second I’ll expand on this opinion in a followup post later.

11 thoughts on “Question: Can I use an iPad in New Zealand?

1. Jacob

So what have you been using the iPad for? Anything it does better that you couldn’t already do on other devices?

2. Jacob

Lol I like this: “the iPad doesn’t actually replace anything or lighten his load. It’s just “one more thing” he has to lug around.” and “I sort of see the iPad as a photo frame with benefits. “

3. Chainsaw

“am really struggling to find a true purpose for it”.
    That about sums it up for me, I like the idea and concept, but I just can’t see a use for it, for me.

4. Odie

I have had an iPad for almost a week now and I LOVE it :
    – almost instant on/instant access to the internet, specifically looking at TradeMe auctions; weather for kayaking and gaming which requires access every couple of hours
    – EASY to have it where I am working or watching TV, taking up minimal space and no cords (as no worries about battery life)
    – I take lots of photos and all of you photos (and music) is almost instantly available
    – WAY quicker and easier to use(for what it does) than the iPhone or even a std Mac as just so fast and just a few presses, and it’s just there sitting on the table/couch etc

The only downsides :
    – I put it down when walking around the house and took a while to find it !
    – until multi tasking, copy and past multiple items between apps/Web pages is a pain (ie paying for Trade me items) so I setup one page on the iPhone, the iPad on the Bank screen.
    – no standard set of background music for the sideshow – you can only use your own (which may not suit)
    – obviously, it is not a fully equipped PC or laptop so doesn’t do everything
    – missing flash is a pain at times, but I found the video I wanted to see on youTube

1. Helen

Hi Odie,
      So I’m guessing you must have an iPad you’ve brought in from the States and are just using on WiFi?
      Can you tell me whether you get a full Apple guarantee/ warrantee when you buy from there?
      Thank you!

5. rob-nz

Yeah, dunno.

The first touchscreen tablet I used was a Compaq Concerto back in the 90’s (Yes, windows 3.11!)

Kinda heavy, and only a 486SL 33Mhz and 240 Mb hard drive, but promising.
    We even sold one to Team NZ and Tom Shakenberg had it siliconed into the cockpit of one of the KZ boats.

Then, I guess you could count Palm M505, SE P800 and P900 phones.

The Palm really was my take anywhere handy instant on personal computer. We were inseperable.

Taking notes using a stylus in Graffiti was a breeze and I still would prefer a stylus to onscreen keyboard any day for texting and scribbling.

The SE phones took it to another level with internet and activesync (only GPRS, but hey!), again the stylus was great.

I love my htc magic now, but man, I could text and take ad-hoc notes much faster on the Palm and SE UIQ phones!

The next big tablet I used was the HP tc4200. With Win XP tablet edition it wasn’t great, but with Vista it worked pretty well.

Still heavy, and a little underpowered, but it was great having the full keyboard available when necessary and to be able to use it as a tablet with the stylus when convenient.

This is where I guess people differ on tablet utility.

On the tc4200 I wanted to run the full office suite, and in meetings annotate and use oneNote, while holding the tablet as I would a notpad, balanced on my knee while writing.

It was also important to be able to use Visio properly and make detailed and accurate precise diagrams. For that you need a precision input device, not a fat finger.

I also needed to connect external media from time to time, eg USB drives, USB flash memory and external monitors.

The HP TC4200 was a long way from perfect, but it had some good points.

I also used a 14″ Toshiba M4 breifly, which was a bit of a beast, but well made.

I know the iPad has some different ways of doing some of the same things, (eg wifi monitor and projectors could work well), but there are some real shortcomings in how I would use a it as a tablet for actual real work.

It’s also interesting in terms of the hype around this being ‘the year of the tablet’ and how it needed Apple to make tablets work.

I think it’s more complex than that. Apple has certainly leveraged it’s reputation, expertise, loyal following and consumer nous to create a buzz, but let’s face it, they could make an LCD beermat and it would sell!

There’s an old truism in engineering that ‘you can’t build trains until it’s time to railroad’, meaning that often a lot of factors need to converge before a new product becomes practical.

In the case of railroads, it was (among other things) mass production, steam engine technology, mathematics, engineering science, labour reform, and an increasingly mobile populace.

In the case of tablets, previously they were underpowered, running essentially ported versions of a full desktop OS and with crap battery life and clunky residitive screen technolgy.

Maybe now the technology precursors have lowered the barriers enough for it to be ‘time to tablet’.

Take one and call me in the morning.

6. Odie

Even better now the App Store is available directly from the iPad

7. Hugo

My essential iPad app for business is Beesy. It’s a great tool for my everyday life at work. help to sort out and don’t forget a thing on my differents projects. Very useful also in meeting with I can take note and send minutes at the end of the meeting by mail very quickly and easily. http://www.beesapps.com/beesy-ipad-to-do/

8. Michael

i wat to know if i buy a tablet iPad or android, or a mobile ph, in china will it work in new zealand. that is something i need to know.